|Beam Time Operation|
|RIBF User Group|
Japanese | English
Q1 Experiment Proposal
A. The period of validity is 4 years (NP-PAC) and 2 years (ML-PAC). The period starts from the month when the beam time scheduling request is called right after the approval.
A. You need to submit a letter asking for extension. The letter is then reviewed by the MT Committee, and once it is approved, one year extension will be granted. In some case, you may be asked to resubmit a proposal for the PAC review again. There is no specific form for the letter. It should be addressed to Group Director of User Liaison and Industrial Cooperation Group, and include proposal number, proposal topic, name of proposal applicant, affiliated institute, name of contact person, and the reason for extension, and must be submitted to the RIBF Users Office.
Serial Number: When the approved days of experiment will be used not at once but divided into several experiments, you are required to submit "Accelerator-Use Planning Sheet" for each experiment.
A. Please contact RIBF Users Office.
Q2 Request for Beam Time
1. I plan to draw up more than one Beam-Time Request Table per experiment. How should the serial number be assigned?
A. The Serial number will be assigned by RIBF Users Office, so you need only to fill out the proposal number. Prepare "Beam-Time Request Table" for each experiment.
A. You will be notified by e-mail. When your beam-time is allocated, promptly submit "Accelerator Use Planning Sheet".
A. Experiment proposal applicant and those listed in the PAC Proposal's List of Collaborators (one does not have to be a RIKEN's permanent employee, but must be enrolled in the second half term of Doctor's course or equivalent level. Undergraduate student cannot be a spokesperson) are eligible to be an experiment's spokesperson. The experiment proposal applicant does not have to be an experiment's spokesperson when he/she cannot come to RIKEN to perform the experiment. In such a case, an experiment collaborator who actually performs the experiment should submit the experiment request. When the experiment's spokesperson makes a request for beam tuning and/or change of beam intensity to the machine operator, it is vital that he/she makes his/her instructions clear in Japanese to avoid any accident. If the spokesperson cannot speak Japanese sufficiently, then make sure to arrange for someone to translate the instructions accurately in Japanese.
* When the proposal is submitted by a person not listed in the List of Collaborators, RIBF Users Office may contact the experiment proposal applicant for confirmation.
A. If the spokesperson is not employed by RIKEN, name of a contact person in RIKEN (must be a permanent staff or equivalent involved with radiation work) is required (not applicable when the spokesperson is a member of a partner institution who works full time at RIKEN (Wako campus)). In such a case, suggestions/comments (in Japanese) for revision from the in-house Safety Review Committee will also be sent to the liaison person in RIKEN. The experiment's spokesperson and liaison person are required to promptly make necessary revisions in "Accelerator Use Planning Sheet" accordingly.
If you do now know your status or host laboratory in RIKEN, contact RIBF Users Office.
A. Submit a list of experimenters in an Excel file sent by RIBF Users Office along with your beam-time plan.
6. Where it says "Approval of Director", who does it specifically mean? Could it be the Director of one's home institute?
A. It means the Director of the experiment spokesperson's affiliated laboratory in RIKEN. However, Director may vary depending on the status and affiliation of the experiment spokesperson at RIKEN as in the following cases:
(1) When the experiment spokesperson is a RIBF independent user, he/she will not be affiliated with RIKEN. In such a case, the Director of User Liaison Group who is in charge of registration, management and work of RIBF independent users is required. As for paperwork required for safety screening, RIBF Users Office will arrange to have a seal of approval directly from the Director of User Liaison and Industrial Cooperation Group.
(2) Whether employed by RIKEN or not as in the case of visiting scientist, student trainees, etc., if the experiment spokesperson is affiliated with RIKEN, the Director of his/her affiliated lab would be acceptable as before. As for paperwork required for safety screening, RIBF Users Office will arrange to have a seal of approval directly from the Director of User Liaison and Industrial Cooperation Group only with the prior approval of the Director.
(3) When the experiment spokesperson is a member of a partner institution, namely CNS, KEK as of Aug. 2021, his/her supervisor at the partner institution will be considered as the Director. The experiment spokesperson must obtain seal from his/her supervisor on "Accelerator-Use Planning Sheet" printed out on paper, and send to RIBF Users Office by mail. (electronic submission not accepted)
7. What to do about seal and signature(s) now that Accelerator Use Planning Sheet is being submitted online?
A. The seal/signature of experiment spokesperson (and RIKEN's contact person) is no longer required. From 2nd half of 2021, the seal of the Director can be replased by the email approval.
A. Only electrical application is accepted.
A. In principle, the planning sheets for experiments in spring and summer is valid until the end of September, and in autumn and winter until the end of March.
A. The previous "Accelerator Use Planning Sheet" cannot be reused.
A new "Accelerator Use Planning Sheet" has to be reviewed and approved again.
11. Since many corrections were made on the "Accelerator Use Planning sheet," can I resubmit a new one instead of "Application for Modification of Accelerator Use Planning Sheet"?
A. No, you must submit the "Application for Modification of Accelerator- Use Planning sheet" instead of a new "Accelerator-Use Planning Sheet".
A. Consult RIBF Users Office. If you intend to use the AVF cyclotron with a primary beam which is not in the "established primary beam list", the beam should be developed in collaboration with CNS and therefore CNS researchers should be included in your experimental group. Whether members of CNS ion source group would be included in the authors of the future published papers should be discussed between experiment group and CNS.
13. I have applied for 10 days of beam time but was only given 6 days of beam time. If I submit a request for the remaining 4 days of beam time at the next beam time request, could I use "Accelerator Use Planning Sheet" previously approved by the Safety Division?
A. No, you cannot.
The Accelerator Use Planning Sheet is deemed completed at the time when 6 days of beam time is finished.
Thus, you need to submit a new Accelerator Use Planning Sheet (to which a different serial number will be given) at the next beam time request.
Q3 Modifications made on Accelerator Use Planning Sheet
A. Submit "Application for Modification of Accelerator-Use Planning Sheet (PDF / Word)" form promptly. Since it may require safety screening, submit it at least 10 days prior to the start of the experiment as an electronic file to RIBF Users Office. It may take more time for a change to higher primary beam energy and stronger primary beam intensity.
* "Application for Modification of Accelerator-Use Planning Sheet" must be submitted by email.
*The applicant of "Application for Modification of Accelerator-Use Planning Sheet" should be the same as the spokesperson of the experiment on "Accelerator-Use Planning Sheet". (cannot be designated to another person) (Refer to Q2-3 for more on the experiment spokesperson)
A. Contact RIBF Users Office immediately. (Email)
Q4 Accelerator-Use Termination Report
A. To control the dose of radioactive matter, submit the "Accelerator-Use Termination Report" to the RIBF Users Office within one week after the experiment is completed. Radioactive matters should be kept safely in compliance with the instructions given by Radiation Protection Liaison Officer. If the Report is not submitted, your next beam-time request may not be accepted.
A. When you publish a paper on experiments using any accelerator of the RIBF, make sure to note "This experiment was performed at RI Beam Factory operated by RIKEN Nishina Center and CNS, the University of Tokyo".
3. I have "Accelerator-Use Planning Sheet" for the experiment not performed. Do I still need to submit "Accelerator Use Termination report"?
A. No, you do not have to.