Guideline for the operation of BigRIPS experiments
Nov. 20, 2009
1st revision: Nov. 24
2nd revision: Dec. 18
This guideline clarifies the roles of the experiment group, the BigRIPS team and the accelerator group, based on the discussions held during the Machine Time Committee (hereafter referred to as “MT Committee”). It is applicable to the "Day2" experiments (the experiments performed with BigRIPS in Nov. and Dec. 2009), but will also serve as a basis for experiments with BigRIPS in the future.
- The accelerator group and the BigRIPS team deliver the beams according to the schedule determined by the MT Committee. While making changes in the schedule is possible by discussions among the three parties, chair of the MT committee will deal with possible problems, if any.
- The accelerator group, as a section of the RIBF facility, is responsible for delivering the primary beams.
- The BigRIPS team, as a section of the RIBF facility, is responsible for delivering the secondary beams necessary for performing the experiment.
The followings are the roles of the BigRIPS team:
- Preparation and operation of the production target, degrader, beam dump of the primary beam, magnets, and standard detectors of BigRIPS.
- Delivery of the primary beam from SRC to make a beam spot on the production target.
- Production and particle identification of secondary beams (RI beams).
The team accumulates information such as operation parameters for example, and supplies it to the experimental group.
- Particle identification in ZeroDegree for a standard set of particles defined in each experiment.
- Support of the experiment group that sets up detectors in BigRIPS or ZeroDegree.
- The experiment group is responsible for planning and conducting the experiment, and making the results public promptly.
The followings are the roles of the experiment group regarding the beam time:
- Determination of the time schedule for the entire beam time, including the part for secondary beam production, by consulting with the BigRIPS team.
- Development and preparation of specific detectors designed for the experiment, and using them in the beam time.
- For RI beam production, the BigRIPS team assigns a contact person for each beam time or a series of beam times. The contact person for the accelerator operation is the sub leader in charge of accelerator operation in the Accelerator Research Group.
- The three parties should make an effort to share the information regarding the experiment, and set up meetings for discussion when necessary.
Experiment group may take part in RI beam production under the direction of the BigRIPS team. Since the specialized operators are not currently assigned, a license for BigRIPS operation is to be given to some of the members in the experiment group.
For RI beam production with highly developmental aspects, the BigRIPS team can ask for the cooperation of the experiment group. In the cases where the experiment group has its own idea, such as a new scheme of RI beam production for example, the experiment group can propose experiments to PAC and conduct experiments in collaboration with the BigRIPS team. The data obtained belong to the BigRIPS team in the former case and to the experiment group in the latter.
For the "Day2" experiments, two days of RI beam production are reserved for a series of 238U and 48Ca primary beams respectively. The BigRIPS team makes a plan for each series by discussion with the experiment team, and distributes the plan to the persons concerned.
Members of the BigRIPS team can participate in the experimental group.
The participation is on a personal basis.
T. Motobayashi (Chair of Machine Time Committee)